Location: Midtown, Atlanta, GA
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Administrivia, a premier business process outsourcing company, is seeking a payroll manager on a full-time basis. The ideal payroll manager will be capable of managing payroll for our clients, and will be well-versed in payroll processing rules, laws and best practices. As a payroll processing bureau and service provider, Administrivia processes weekly, biweekly, bimonthly and monthly payroll for more than 100 clients.
This position will report directly to the president of the company and will be responsible for managing the payroll function for all of our payroll clients. This is a process-oriented position which requires identifying and resolving process deficiencies and recommending improvements. The processes include processing regular- and off-cycle payment runs, supporting tax matters, and continually handling administration of new, existing and separated employees. You will be accountable for establishing and meeting defined service levels and supporting the client relationship as it pertains to the services outlined.
The payroll manager is responsible for ensuring accuracy of preliminary and final payroll reports, time sheets, assuring compliance with internal policies, and state and federal regulations; responding to inquiries and/or requests for data and/or reports; and providing timely and accurate payroll production. The payroll manager is a management position requiring comprehensive, in-depth management, leadership, technical and communication skills, as well as extensive experience in building and maintaining relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and guarantee disbursement of multi-client payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and
terminations is accurate and timely.
- Critically review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
- Manage regular preparation of relevant client reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Maintain documented policies and procedures for the payroll process.
- Run payroll interfaces (making sure these streamline the processes).
- Year-end processing of tax documents (e.g. W2′s) and correspondence with tax agencies.
- Identify a strategic framework for the management of payroll operations.
- Communicate on operational matters of the Business Services organization to payroll clients, customers and other entities.
- Build and manage a high-performing associate workforce that maintains a strong “client service” focus and culture.
- Provide regular, effective verbal and written performance feedback to team members.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to payroll team.
- Respond to inquiries from management regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc.
- Reconcile all payroll and payroll tax liability accounts in a timely fashion.
- Deliver paid-time-off reporting to clients, and ensure compliance.
- Process employee benefit deduction changes including 401 K, health, dental, FSA, etc.
- Assist with quarterly reviews and audits by providing requested reports, documentation, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive employee data ensuring all payroll information, files and records are maintained in accordance with federal, state and local law requirements.
- Assist employees and clients with payroll-related questions and issues.
- Lead day-to-day activities, and be a resident subject-matter expert for all areas of assigned full-cycle payroll processes.
- Serve as a focal point for payroll issues.
- Perform research, issue resolution and effectively respond to payroll issues.
- Assume ownership for all inquiries made by the client until the issue is resolved to the client’s satisfaction.
- Prioritize high-volume workload, and utilize system to document inquiries.
- Create positive relationships with external and internal clients by always providing outstanding, proactive and friendly service.
- Assist with other tasks or special projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem recognition and resolution skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Must have highly-developed analytical abilities, able to analyze situations, present/defend conclusions and recommend action plans.
- Must have a willingness to delve into a problem and understand the root cause.
- Must be capable of making sound business decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, mathematical and follow-up skills.
- Self-starter with strong attention to details, commitment to accuracy, ability to establish priorities and use sound judgment, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Highly motivated with the ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic and growing company.
- Strong finance and accounting skills, including knowledge of best practices in the areas of payroll.
- Ability to resolve exceptions and disputes as well as manage client expectations.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and service level agreements.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Disciplined time-management skills.
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to manage and lead staff to excellent performance.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 4-6 years related work experience in a position where payroll is a primary responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, or Business Administration preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred.
- CPA or MBA degree a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required.
- Proficient in Excel spreadsheet development, including the ability to create formulas & schedules.
- Experience with payroll processing software required.